When you're looking for a tasty and satisfying meal that's perfect for any occasion, you simply can't go wrong with ground pork bowls. Not only is this dish easy to prepare, but it's also a crowd-pleaser that the whole family will love. You can bring your ground pork stir fry to life as an easy weeknight dinner or prepare this recipe on the weekend as meal prep for a busy week ahead. And, with a Vietnamese-inspired take on this classic dish, you can expect bold flavors, fresh ingredients and a colorful presentation that's sure to leave a lasting impression.
We're exploring everything you need to know about making this stir fry to perfection.
How to make a ground pork bowl — Vietnamese style!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb. Hatfield® Recipe Essentials® Ground Pork.
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce (or tamari).
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce.
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar.
- 1 tsp cornstarch.
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil.
- 1 tsp. sesame oil.
- 1 medium onion, chopped.
- 1/3 cup lemongrass, finely chopped.
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced.
- Pinch red pepper flakes.
- ¼ tsp. black pepper.
- 1 English cucumber, unpeeled and julienned.
- 1 carrot, shaved or julienned.
- 10 oz. rice noodles (or angel hair pasta).
- ½ bunch of cilantro leaves (to garnish).
- ½ bunch of Thai basil, chopped.
- ¼ bunch of mint, chopped.
- Other garnish options: bean sprouts and shredded lettuce.
Making your pork bowl
- Step 1: Start by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Then, add your rice noodles and follow the cooking directions on the label.
- Step 2: Next, combine your soy sauce, hoisin sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl. Whisk together until the brown sugar dissolves.
- Step 3: Now, add water and cornstarch, and then whisk until incorporated and smooth.
- Step 4: Then, preheat a large saute pan to medium-high heat. Add sesame oil, vegetable oil and your Hatfield® Recipe Essentials® Ground Pork. Cook for two to three minutes, breaking the ground meat into chunks.
- Step 5: Add lemongrass, green onion, garlic, red and black pepper to the pan. Continue cooking until the pork is no longer pink — approximately eight minutes.
- Step 6: Finally, add the sauce and continue cooking. Turn down the heat to medium, and remove once the sauce begins to thicken and simmer.
- Step 7: To serve, divide the noodles into 4 bowls. Top with your delicious pork mixture and add garnishes to your taste!
Ready to get started? Head to your local grocery store to pick up your favorite Hatfield® products for a simply delicious result.
Vietnamese ground pork bowls recipe tips and notes
- Serve hot or cold: This Vietnamese-inspired stir fry recipe is equally tasty when it's both hot and cold. Serve it to your loved ones' preference.
- Garnishes: The possible garnishes for this main dish are practically endless! For an added kick you might consider sriracha or Thai chili. Or, you can opt for a more classic flavor by adding ginger.
- Choose your base: While we recommend delectable rice noodles as the base for your bowl, you can always tailor this to your liking. Alternatives include white, fried or brown rice, cauliflower rice and veggie noodles — to name a few.
Making this main dish ahead of time and storing it properly
Knowing you have a busy week ahead can make dinnertime daunting. Luckily, you can easily make this stir fry recipe ahead of time, so it's ready to go for you and your family as soon as you need it.
- Storing: After everything has cooled, move your ground meat, rice and other ingredients to an airtight container and place it in the fridge. This will last for up to four days.
- Reheating: Once you're ready to put all of the pieces back together for mealtime, simply reheat your ingredients and 30-second bursts until they're back to your preferred temperature.
- Freezing: In an airtight container, you can expect this recipe to stay good for up to three months in the freezer. To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight and then microwave as instructed above.
How high-quality pork products from Hatfield® can help
Don't have hours to spend in the kitchen? Don't worry! High-quality, pre-seasoned pork products from Hatfield® make mealtime easy for the same top-tier result. Here at Hatfield®, we're dedicated to providing quality pork products while staying committed to our passion for animal care and treating our farmers, the environment and our animals with respect.
If you're ready to get cooking, use our store locator to find your favorite Hatfield® products in a supermarket or grocery store near you.