Life is busy, which means you don’t always have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen preparing your next great meal. But, with a Crockpot or slow cooker on your side, you can have the best of both worlds! This guarantees that you can quickly and easily prepare delicious dishes that your loved ones won’t be able to get enough of.
Looking for your next show-stopping meal? Look no further than one of our favorite slow cooker recipes for hearty and comforting potato and ham soup. Read on to learn everything you need to know about making this simple-to-prepare, appetizing dish to perfection.
Using up Leftover Ham for Your Next Main Dish
A recipe for delicious slow cooker ham and potato soup is the perfect way to use leftover ham — whether that means leftover holiday ham or extras after a big meal with friends and loved ones. And, when you don’t have any readily available, you can always pick up a small pack of ham steaks like the Hickory Ham Steak or Sweet Brown Sugar Ham Steak by Hatfield® from your local supermarket.
This ham and potato soup recipe is great for busy weeknights or people with full schedules in general. Not only can you feed a crowd, but you can also rest assured that this savory soup recipe won’t put a strain on your budget. Every bite of cheesy ham and potatoes will surely leave a lasting impression on friends and family on a dime!
Once you have your ingredients, all you need is 15 minutes for prep time, and then your slow cooker does the rest of the hard work for you! This helps you serve a delicious main dish that can feed the whole family while minimizing the time you have to spend in the kitchen.
How To Make Ham and Potato Soup in a Crockpot
Take a closer look at the ingredients you’ll need to gather beforehand and the directions to follow to ensure a flavorful result:
- 16 oz. package of Hatfield® Ham Steak (diced).
- 6 cups Yukon Gold potatoes (diced).
- 1 medium onion (diced).
- ½ cup chopped celery.
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and diced).
- 1 Tbsp. garlic (minced).
- 4 cups chicken broth.
- 1 tsp. kosher salt.
- ½ tsp. black pepper.
- ½ cup sour cream.
- 1 ½ cups whole milk.
- ¼ cup flour.
- Garnishes: Cheddar cheese, scallions and additional ham (optional).
Steps to make Crockpot potato soup and ham
- Combine and add ingredients: In a crockpot or slow cooker, combine your potatoes, onion, celery, carrots, minced garlic, ham and chicken broth.
- Cook: Turn on high for 4-5 hours or turn on low for 7-8 hours.
- Mash mixture: Using a potato masher or immersion blender, mash ½ of the potato mixture.
- Add: Add sour cream, milk and flour.
- Cook: Let cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve: Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream and additional diced ham!
If you’re ready to bring this slow cooker ham and potato soup recipe to life, head to your local grocery store to pick up your favorite Hatfield® products and get started!
Answering a Few FAQs
Does it matter what kind of potatoes you use?
With so many kinds of potatoes to choose from, you might be wondering if the option you pick makes a significant difference. Some of the most common varieties to consider include russet potatoes, purple potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes and White potatoes — and the list doesn’t end there!
When it comes to hearty slow cooker potato soup with ham, Yukon Golds are a standard recommendation. Why? They’re known for being medium in starch and incredibly versatile. These all-purpose potatoes contain more moisture than high-starch options like russet potatoes, so they don’t fall apart as easily. This makes them a suitable alternative when part of the recipe calls for potatoes to be mashed.
How can you thicken potato soup?
Getting your soup’s consistency just right can be tricky. Here are a few tips to consider:
- You can sprinkle potato flakes into your recipe as a way to thicken the soup with little effort and extra flavor.
- Alternatively, stir in approximately ¼ cup of flour to increase the dish’s thickness.
- Lastly, you can consider using xanthan gum or cornstarch: Add 2 tablespoons of either option to the soup in the last 15 minutes of cooking to do this effectively.
What can you serve with potato soup?
While we suggest serving your soup with shredded cheese, sour cream and even more mouthwatering ham, the options are practically endless. They might include other toppings such as chopped green onion or chives.
You can also consider serving this dish with a complementary side that’s perfect for dipping or crumbling into the soup. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Oyster crackers.
- Dinner rolls.
- Buttered biscuits.
How do you store slow cooker potato soup with ham?
- Serving: After you’ve served your potato and ham soup, be sure not to leave it out for longer than 2 hours before putting it away. If left out for longer, you can be at risk of ingesting harmful bacteria that will make you and your loved ones sick.
- Storing: When it’s time to store your main dish, transfer your leftovers to an airtight container or freezer bag. Make sure you’ve let the soup cool to room temperature before moving it.
- Freezing: Can you freeze creamy ham and potato soup? While it’s not always recommended to freeze creamy soups, the answer is yes! After transferring your extras to a freezer-safe container, you can refrigerate them for up to 3 months.
Can you make this soup ahead of time?
If you have a jam-packed schedule, then you’ll be happy to hear that you can certainly cook this creamy ham and potato soup ahead of time. Simply make the soup as normal and place it in the fridge: Keep in mind that this will last you 3 to 4 days.
Once you’re ready to serve this dish, reheat your soup in your Crockpot or slow cooker with heat on low and a cook time of about 1-2 hours. You can also use your stove to reheat large portions of the soup over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
Elevating Mealtime With Pork Products From Hatfield®
At the end of the day, your main dish is nothing without quality ingredients that are both tasty and healthy. When you’re in pursuit of top-tier pork products that can bring your soup recipes with ham to the next level, Hatfield® can help!
If you’re ready to make a creamy ham and potato soup that’s sure to have all of your loved ones clamoring for more, use our store locator to find your favorite Hatfield® products in a supermarket or grocery store near you.