Looking for your next dish to prepare for the family? Tomato bacon jam is a sweet and savory spread that’s not only delicious but also versatile. You might serve it with a morning omelet or as the final touch to your charcuterie board — and that’s just the tip of the iceberg! Brown sugar gives this jam the traditional sweetness you love, while Hatfield® Classic Cut Bacon and fresh tomatoes create a balance of savory flavors that’s just right.
Read on to learn how to prepare this dish and the tips to keep in mind for the best results.
Preparing your tasty tomato bacon jam
Yield: 3 cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45-60 minutes
- 1 lb. Hatfield® Bacon (chopped).
- 1 large white onion (chopped).
- 1 tsp. fresh garlic (minced).
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes.
- 5 vine-ripened tomatoes (medium diced).
- ¾ cup light brown sugar.
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar.
- Salt and black pepper (to taste).
Steps to make your tomato jam and bacon
- Step 1: In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add bacon and cook until almost crispy (approximately 8 minutes). After this, drain the bacon grease and set your almost-crispy bacon aside.
- Step 2: In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons of bacon fat, onions, garlic, salt and black pepper.
- Step 3: Cook until the onions are translucent. Add the canned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes, stir and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Step 4: Then, add brown sugar and vinegar. Stir until incorporated.
- Step 5: Lastly, add the bacon and stir until combined and the mixture begins to bubble. Turn medium heat down to a low temperature and let simmer for 35-40 minutes until very little liquid remains.
- Step 6: Remove from heat and place in a serving bowl. You can serve with pork tenderloin, on a charcuterie board with cheese or for breakfast on an omelet — the options are practically endless!
Tomato bacon jam prep and storage tips
Got any leftover tomato jam? Here’s what you need to know about storing this dish.
- Storing: Move your jam to an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Freezing: Tomato bacon jam will keep in the freezer for up to three months.
If you’re planning to prepare this recipe ahead of time, make sure you let your jam cool to room temperature before storing it.
What ingredients can you substitute in a tomato and bacon jam recipe?
- Bacon: When it comes to cooked bacon, you can’t go wrong. But, for an added twist to this bacon jam recipe, try a thick-cut option like Hatfield® Hickory Smoked Bacon or Maple Brown Sugar Bacon for extra sweetness.
- Red pepper flakes: If you’re looking for a savory or spicier flavor, you can add red pepper flakes as needed to give it an added kick.
- Sugar: For a result that’s a little less sweet, but equally delicious, you can use less brown sugar than the recipe calls for.
Are cherry tomatoes a good substitute?
While we recommend using a mixture of Roma tomatoes and canned tomatoes to get the sweet and savory balance just right, cherry tomatoes are a perfectly acceptable substitute if you prefer! Keep in mind it will affect the flavor and consistency slightly as cherry tomatoes are sweeter and have higher water content.
Can bacon jam be preserved?
Adding delicious crumbled bacon to tomato jam makes this question a bit more difficult to answer. You can successfully can this recipe, but you must use a pressure canner. However, if you’re not familiar with this process, it’s best to avoid it.
With everything you need to know about making tomato bacon jam in mind, how can you get started? Head to your local grocery store to pick up your favorite Hatfield® pork products for a top-tier result!
How to serve tomato bacon jam
With its rich taste and seemingly endless potential uses, this tomato bacon and jam recipe is more versatile than meets the eye. We love serving this jam with pork tenderloin, on a charcuterie board with our favorite cheeses and for breakfast on an omelet. But, the options don’t end there! You can also spread it on a toasted baguette or grilled cheese, or even use it as a pretzel dip.
Choose premium pork with Hatfield®
Not all bacon is created equal. And, when you’re bringing your next recipe to life you want top-tier ingredients for the best results.
Hatfield® is dedicated to providing quality pork products that make mealtime simply delicious — all while staying committed to our passion for animal care and treating our farmers, the environment and our animals with respect.
Once you’re ready to get started, use our store locator to find your favorite Hatfield® products in a supermarket or grocery store near you.