With fall in full effect, the kids are in school and the holidays are right around the corner. But with so much going on, it can be overwhelming to prepare a delicious and healthy breakfast for loved ones. Luckily, it doesn’t have to be difficult. With so many options for flavorful make-ahead breakfast casseroles that everyone will love, the possibilities are practically endless!
Whether you’re preparing for a busy week ahead or an upcoming holiday occasion, we’re going over the steps to make some of our favorite breakfast casseroles with ease.
Steps to prepare and make a breakfast casserole
When it comes to easy recipes for the perfect casserole dish, you can’t go wrong with the sweet potato ham hash recipe from Hatfield®.
Ingredients in this breakfast recipe
- 3 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- 1 package of Hatfield® Hickory Ham Steak, diced into bite-sized pieces.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, washed and diced into bite-size pieces with skin-on.
- 1 medium, diced green onion.
- 1 diced red pepper.
- 2 Tbsp. minced, fresh parsley.
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic.
- 2 chopped scallions.
A few optional ingredients you might consider adding include crushed red pepper, garlic powder, an egg, bacon, onion powder, cheese or bell pepper.
Making your ham and hashbrown breakfast casserole
- Step 1: Turn your stove on to medium-high heat and add olive oil to a large skillet.
- Step 2: After the oil has had time to heat, add the onions and sauté until the onions become translucent, then add the peppers until they become soft. After this, add the garlic and hash brown potatoes.
- Step 3: Turn the heat on your stove up to high and stir the potatoes continuously. Once they begin to brown you can add your diced ham and toss until the ham is properly heated.
- Step 4: Slowly stir in the fresh parsley and scallions.
- Step 5: Let your casserole cool for a few minutes and serve hot. Or, let the dish cool completely and put it away to reheat and serve for breakfast in the following few days.
Additional tips and tricks to keep in mind
Great sides for your breakfast casserole
No matter what breakfast casserole recipe you choose, there are a few sides that are always good options to keep in mind — elevating your delicious meal even further. And, for the parents who always want the best for their children, these side dishes are healthy, too! You might consider:
- Green salads.
- Avocado toast.
- A yogurt parfait.
- Fruit smoothies.
- Fruit salads.
Reheating and storing leftovers
- Storing: After you’ve let your casserole dish cool, you can remove leftovers from your baking dish and place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container. Be sure to refrigerate leftovers within two hours after baking, and these can be left in the refrigerator for three to five days.
- Reheating: Luckily, when it comes to breakfast casseroles, reheating is simple. Everyone in the family can reheat individual servings in the microwave as needed.
- Freezing: After covering your baking dish very tightly with plastic wrap and foil, both a baked and unbaked casserole can be frozen for up to two months. Once you’re ready, thaw the dish in the refrigerator overnight and bake at 350 (177) for approximately twenty minutes or until heated through.
No matter when you plan to serve your healthy breakfast casserole, prep can be simple when you go with Hatfield® products for the protein portion of the meal. Ready to try out your next breakfast casserole recipe? Find top-tier pork products from Hatfield® in a supermarket or grocery store near you using our store locator.
Other easy breakfast recipes to consider
If your loved ones are looking for a rich and savory option, consider our easy breakfast casserole recipe for sausage gravy. The ingredients you’ll need for this dish include:
- 1 lb Hatfield® Recipe Essentials® Country Ground Sausage.
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour.
- 2-3 cups whole milk.
- ¼ tsp sea salt.
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
Steps to prepare this breakfast casserole
- Step 1: Turn your stove on to medium-high heat. In a sauté pan, cook your breakfast sausage, stirring and breaking it up with a spoon. Cook the sausage until it’s fully browned — this should take approximately 10 minutes.
- Step 2: Now, you can reduce the heat to medium-low. Sprinkle in half of your flour until the cooked sausage soaks it up, then continue to add the rest of the flour a little bit at a time.
- Step 3: Stir continuously while adding 2 cups of milk. Stir the gravy frequently until it thickens — this should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Step 4: Now, add salt and pepper and continue cooking until thick. Be sure to keep an eye on the gravy and if it becomes too thick, add additional milk as needed.
- Step 5: Finally, adjust the seasoning to taste. Spoon your gravy over warm bread or biscuits and serve immediately.
Or if you’re looking for something sweet and filling, you can’t go wrong with our brioche baked french toast with ground pork and blueberries. This french toast casserole has a few more ingredients to gather and typically takes a bit longer to prepare, which makes it the perfect mealtime adventure to get the whole family involved over the weekend. You can work on the main dish while having loved ones cook the breakfast sausage or make the filling. This sweet and savory french toast casserole will likely last you for a few days, and it’s sure to be a hit every time!
Choosing pork products from Hatfield® to elevate your breakfast experience
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but with busy schedules, it can quickly get hectic. Whether you’re looking for an easy breakfast to keep your family fueled for the week or want to amaze guests over the holidays, any of our overnight breakfast casserole options will do the trick.
With help from Hatfield®, breakfast doesn’t have to be a thrown-together affair. Save yourself valuable time in the mornings and keep all of your loved ones satisfied with ease. And, choosing Hatfield can help you rest assured that you’re cooking with high-quality, great-tasting pork products — because your loved ones deserve nothing but the best.
If you’re ready to save time and ensure delicious results, find a Hatfield® pork retailer near you.