If you've been looking for your next signature dish that's great for the whole family and minimizes the time you have to spend in the kitchen, you can't go wrong with a frittata with ham and cheddar cheese. Read on to learn everything you need to know about cooking a delicious frittata recipe to perfection.
Considering a frittata for your next mealtime adventure
When you have leftover ham on your hands, don't let it go to waste! You can make the most of excess diced ham by making a cheese and egg frittata. This savory dish is filling and easily modifiable to suit all your loved ones' needs. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, you can have an easy frittata ready for the family in under 25 minutes. Or, when you have a busy week ahead, you can prepare this dish ahead of time and reheat it when you're ready.
What's the difference between a frittata and a quiche?
A quiche is a savory custard tart served in a crust. This egg-forward dish is baked in a shell using a round pie pan. A frittata, while sharing a lot of textural similarities with quiches, is usually made with a milk or cream base. They're further distinguished by their preparation: A quiche is typically baked in the oven, while a frittata is better suited to cook in a skillet on the stove and finish baking in the oven.
Now that you understand the differences between a quiche and a frittata, read on for our favorite frittata recipe.
Steps to prepare a delicious and easy ham and cheese frittata
Prep Time: 5 minutes.
Cook time: 25 minutes.
- 12 large eggs.
- ¼ cup whole milk.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar.
- 1 cup diced ham.
- 2 tbsp. butter.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- 1 red pepper, diced (optional).
- 1 small onion, diced (optional).
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped (optional).
How to make ham and cheese frittata
- Step 1: First, preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Step 3: Stir in shredded cheese and diced or chopped ham.
- Step 4: Then, in a cast iron skillet, melt the butter and add your egg mixture.
- Step 5: Now, place your ham, cheese and egg frittata in a preheated oven. For the last three to five minutes, turn the broiler on to brown the top.
- Step 6: Let cool and then serve!
Ready to make this easy ham and cheese frittata recipe? Head to your local grocery store to pick up your favorite Hatfield® products and get started! And, when you still have ham to spare, check out other related recipes to try.
Tips, techniques and FAQs
- Proper storage: Whether you serve your frittata immediately or save it for later, you can store this dish for up to four days in the refrigerator. For delicious leftovers throughout the week, slice up your frittata into portions, then transfer them in a single layer to an airtight container. Or, stack the slices with parchment paper in between and place them in the fridge.
- Modify as you please: One of the best ways to take your frittata recipe to the next level is to make modifications based on your loved one's preferences. This might mean substituting cheddar cheese for Swiss cheese or parmesan cheese or adding your favorite pre-cooked vegetables.
How do you keep a frittata fluffy?
To prepare a perfectly cooked and fluffy cheddar cheese frittata, it's essential to get the moisture and creaminess just right. You can do this by adding a bit of dairy: Use a half cup of dairy for every dozen eggs. These options include:
- Heavy cream.
- Whole milk.
- Sour cream.
- Cottage cheese.
Can you freeze a frittata?
Yes. To properly freeze your frittata, transfer it to an airtight container, and place it in the freezer. This will ensure your meal stays good for up to two months. Once you're ready to reheat, preheat your oven to 275. Then, place your ham and cheese dish or frozen pieces on a cooking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
What's the best pan to use for your ham and cheese frittata?
While different pans can be used to cook this diced ham, shredded cheese and egg recipe to success, a cast iron skillet is typically considered the best method. With a skillet, you won't need to flip and transfer your half-cooked meal back and forth. Instead, you can simply transfer the pan from the stovetop to the oven for an easier process. The nonstick surface and excellent heat conduction a cast iron skillet provides ensures that you can set the eggs into the perfect, custardy texture you're looking for.
What sides are a good complement to this dish?
Because this recipe is great for breakfast, lunch and dinner, your options for sides are practically endless! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Green salad.
- Oven-roasted potatoes.
- Grilled beans.
- Hash browns.
- Sauteed Brussels sprouts.
How Hatfield® can help
If you've been looking for healthy recipes that the whole family will love, frittatas are a great way to go. And, you can elevate this dish when you add your favorite ham to the mix. When you're looking for a delicious ham or ham steak to complete your next meal, Hatfield® has what you need.
Our products are created with one goal in mind: to bring you quality pork that's simply delicious. With our pre-seasoned, fresh and high-quality options, you can minimize your time spent in the kitchen for an equally delectable result.
When you're ready to get started with ham that's high-grade and great-tasting, use our store locator to find your favorite Hatfield® products in a supermarket or grocery store near you.