Sunny summer days are finally here, which means it's the perfect time to start grilling again — if you haven't already. For those looking for a great meal to grill this summer, you can't go wrong with bacon-wrapped hot dogs.
This delicious and savory treat is a simple mealtime adventure that can be fun for the whole family. Here are the steps for making bacon-wrapped hot dogs this summer and a few recommendations for the best results.
Steps to prepare and grill your bacon-wrapped hot dogs
Ready to start preparing your hot dogs to be grilled? Luckily, with bacon-wrapped hot dogs, there's not much to it. Just head to your local grocery store to grab the necessary ingredients, and you're ready to get started!
- Wrap bacon around each hot dog you plan to grill in a spiral — one bacon slice should fit around a hot dog just right.
- Secure the bacon in this position with a toothpick pushed through both the bacon and the hot dog, or use a skewer pushed from one end to the other to hold everything in place.
After that, it's time to start grilling, so you can get this delectable summer meal on your plate in no time.
Grilling your summer treat
It's easy to be intimidated by the word "grilling," but, it's important to keep in mind that grilling is for everyone — and likely much easier than a novice might assume. Whether you're an experienced griller or new to this style of cooking, rest assured you can make bacon-wrapped hot dogs this summer with ease.
Follow these steps for grilling your wrapped hot dog, and, if you're not already, you'll be the family grillmaster in no time:
- Preheat your grill to medium heat or medium-high heat. To save you time, it's best to start heating your grill before preparing your hot dogs, that way it's ready to go as soon as you are.
- Place your hot dogs on the hot, clean grill — turning and repositioning them as necessary until the bacon is lightly crispy. The cook time for this should be about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Let your hot dogs cool for a minute, then add condiments or toppings however you or your guests see fit.
- Serve and enjoy!
Making it your own
When preparing and grilling your hot dog, remember no recipe is set in stone. With so many options for modifications to consider, there's practically an endless amount of possibilities to make this summer treat your own.
Here are a few easy ways you can add your own spin on grilled, bacon-wrapped hot dogs:
- Add more taste to your buns: For even extra flavor, toast your buns, butter side down, on the grill for one to two minutes. Here's a pro tip for those looking to really kick things up a notch: Brush garlic butter on the buns for a tasty twist.
- Consider condiments: When it comes to hot dogs, condiments are key. You can go classic with ketchup and mustard or add anything else you want. For bacon-wrapped hot dogs, BBQ sauce is a popular choice.
- Add your favorite toppings: With toppings, you have so many options to choose from, and something as simple as adding cheese can quickly bring your hot dogs to the next level. Grilled onions, bell pepper, pineapple and sauerkraut are a few other popular toppings for bacon-wrapped hot dogs.
After you figure out your favorite take on the recipe, it might even become your next specialty!
Great options for sides to consider
When it comes to cooking, it's not only important to think about your main dishes. The right side dish can be the perfect extra touch that completes the meal. For bacon-wrapped hot dogs, some flavorful and simple sides to consider include:
- Grilled corn on the cob: Keep the grill going and add corn on the cob for a delectable summer side. For the best results, be sure to turn them often until charred all over.
- Fruit salad: Bring something sweet to the table with this always-popular dish. Simply, cut up your favorite fruit and mix everything together, and you're set!
- Baked potato: With an air fryer, you can add delicious baked potatoes to your summer menu with ease. Just make sure you have a variety of toppings ready to go so everyone can make it their own.
- Homemade french fries: If you're cooking for your family, french fries are an easy choice to make everyone happy. These crispy potato treats are a great complement to grilled hot dogs in the summer.
A meal that's great for any summer occasion
This summer, when you're looking for your next grilling adventure, remember that hot dogs are the perfect addition to any occasion. What's even better? You can easily modify a simple bacon-wrapped hot dog recipe to make it exactly how your friends and family like it — so you can rest assured that everyone will enjoy the meal. A few great occasions for this summer treat include:
- Holidays and celebrations like the 4th of July or Labor Day.
- Barbecues and get-togethers with friends and family.
- Tailgate parties.
The best part is, you don't need an occasion to make them at all. A flavorful and savory bacon-wrapped hot dog can make any day a little more special — and definitely more delicious. With an easy recipe and so many options for how to make them your own, grilling hot dogs are an ideal option for when you want to cook a mouthwatering meal, fast.
Choosing high-quality pork for the best results
Grilling bacon-wrapped hot dogs is a great opportunity to get the whole family involved. From preparation to cooking to making sides, there are so many ways to have everyone help out in the kitchen. The reward? A delectable summer meal that everyone will love!
But, when it comes to your friends and family, you likely want top-tier ingredients for the best results — and that includes the pork products you choose. Hatfield® is dedicated to providing quality pork products while staying committed to our passion for animal care and treating our farmers, the environment and our animals with respect.
Looking for high-quality pork products to elevate your bacon-wrapped hot dogs this summer? Use our store locator to find your favorite Hatfield® products in a supermarket or grocery store near you.