If you're hosting or attending a gathering with friends and family soon and you're looking for a dish that will leave a lasting impression, you can't go wrong with scalloped potatoes and ham. This classic, old-fashioned comfort food is creamy and filling, and, with a simple recipe on your side, you can have a savory casserole ready to go in no time.
Read on for a scalloped potato and ham recipe that all of your loved ones can enjoy and for other tips, tricks and considerations to keep in mind as you get started.
Making your scalloped potatoes and ham
Scalloped potatoes vs. au gratin potatoes
Before diving into the recipe for this casserole, let's take a look at the difference between scalloped potatoes and au gratin potatoes. While both of these are known for being creamy, rich sliced potatoes cooked in a baking dish, there's one main differentiating factor to note: cheese!
Cheese is the one key ingredient that's typically used to set apart one type of potato casserole from another. In this case, scalloped potatoes consist of thinly sliced potatoes — yet often cut thicker than au gratin potatoes — layered in a dish and baked with heavy cream or milk. Potatoes au gratin, on the other hand, has grated cheese between the layers with fresh breadcrumbs sprinkled on top.
When it's time to tackle a scalloped potato and ham recipe and you're a fan of cheese or cheesy scalloped potatoes, don't worry! There are plenty of opportunities to add cheese to your main dish so you can end up with a result that's just as cheesy as its au gratin counterpart.
Ingredients to gather before getting started
- ¼ cup salted butter.
- 2 cups heavy cream.
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 2 lbs. of the potato of your preference (thinly sliced).
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese.
- 1 ½ cups cooked ham.
- Optional garnish: chives, onion, thyme or parsley.
Steps to prepare and make your scalloped potato and ham casserole
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Then, grease your baking dish and set it aside.
- Cook: Now, melt butter over medium-high heat and whisk in cream, garlic and salt in a large pot. After this, cook your peeled potato slices in the cream mixture for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir: Next, stir in your cubed ham.
- Transfer: Now you can transfer everything in your pot to your prepared baking dish. Lastly, you can sprinkle your desired amount of cheese (if any) on top.
- Refrigerate or bake: If you're planning to serve your dish the following day, cover your casserole in foil and refrigerate it overnight. If you're baking your casserole, place your dish in a 400°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden brown.
- Let stand: After baking, let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving, then garnish with fresh parsley, chives, or other herbs, if desired.
When you're ready to get started on this savory casserole dish for your next get-together with loved ones, head to your local grocery store to pick up your favorite Hatfield® products for a high-quality result!
Tips to keep in mind — and great sides to serve with your dish
What's the best type of potato to use for this recipe?
If you're wondering what type of potato is best for this dish, you'll be glad to know you have a few options that can give you an equally delicious result. Generally, Yukon gold and russet potatoes are the standard recommendations for this recipe. This is because they're starchy, helping them thicken the sauce and bake nicely. However, some recipes call for white or baby red potatoes which means you really can't make a wrong choice!
Tip: use leftover ham
If ham is an integral ingredient in your recipes throughout the holiday season, there's a good chance you'll have plenty of leftovers at some point. But, you don't have to let delicious ham go to waste! This recipe is the perfect way to make the most of your leftover ham for an equally appetizing result.
Sides to consider
Your mouth watering scalloped potatoes and ham casserole is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any occasion with friends and family, but don't forget about your side dishes. Tasty sides are often the perfect complement to your main dish, ensuring there's enough to go around and making for a more complete meal.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Garlic butter green beans.
- Buttermilk biscuits.
- Roasted pea and asparagus salad.
- Sautéed mushrooms.
- Green bean casserole.
- Fried okra.
- Sweet potato fries.
Storing and reheating your leftovers
When your next gathering with friends and family is coming up and you're in a pinch for time, this is a great dish to prepare in advance. In the days before your event or dinner party, you can assemble your homemade scalloped potatoes and, instead of immediately baking your dish, cover and refrigerate it overnight. Give the dish 30-60 minutes to reach room temperature the following day and then bake according to the recipe instructions.
If you're lucky enough to leave with leftovers, here are the guidelines for storing, reheating and freezing your potato casserole:
- Storing: Keep leftovers in your baking dish and cover with foil, or place your remaining potatoes and ham in an airtight container and put it in the fridge. Your leftover ham and scalloped potatoes should keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheating: Remove your dish from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. After this, bake at 325°F just until warmed through — this will take about 20-30 minutes.
- Freezing: Because of the cream sauce and the texture of the potatoes, it's typically not recommended to freeze this type of casserole.
Choosing high-quality pork products for a superior result
With the holiday season in full effect, you simply can't go wrong with a mouthwatering dish that everyone can enjoy. And, with so many options for recipe variations and sides to complement the dish, you can make sure it meets the needs and preferences of your loved ones with ease.
But, keep in mind that when you're ready to start cooking, the ingredients you use matter — and your pork products are no exception. Pork products from Hatfield® are always high-quality to ensure that anything you choose will be both high-grade and great-tasting, giving you the best chances for mealtime success!
If you're ready to make a pork dish that will leave everyone wanting more, use our store locator to find your favorite Hatfield® products in a supermarket or grocery store near you.